Add some extra goodness and fibre to your morning oatmeal with grated zucchini. When cooked into steel-cut oats, which take longer to cook than regular oats, you won’t even know the zucchini is there! But it adds bulk and plenty of nutrients. The golden colour of the oats comes from turmeric. Turmeric is a potent anti-inflammatory and antioxidant that has the potential to prevent heart disease, Alzheimer’s disease and cancer. Pairing turmeric with a pinch of black pepper increases your body’s absorption of turmeric’s benefits.
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- 1 large zucchini, peeled
- 2 cups almond milk
- 2 cups filtered water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- Pinch of black pepper
- 1 banana, mashed
- 4 teaspoons hemp seeds, to serve
- 4 teaspoons pepitas, to serve
- Fresh seasonal fruit, to serve
- Peel and grate the zucchini into a large pot. Add the steel cut oats, almond milk, water, vanilla and spices. Stir and bring to the boil.
- Add in the mashed banana. Simmer for 20 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Once the oats have finished cooking, remove from the heat. Serve into bowls and top with a teaspoon of hemp seeds and a teaspoon of pepitas for each bowl. Finish with fresh seasonal fruit. Or if meal prepping, allow oats to cool completely before transferring to 4 jars of containers and storing in the fridge.